“I cannot live without books” – Thomas Jefferson
I believe the most underrated and under-appreciated way to improve your life is through books. I have been an avid reader my entire life. Both of my parents were readers and instilled that value in me.
However, far too many men do not read at all. They say they don’t have time, or they don’t have the attention span, or books are too expensive. Yet they binge watch Netflix, stayed glued to a sports game for three hours, and spend tons of money on cable or streaming services. They choose the instant gratification of digital media over the time tested method of learning from books.
Besides, how many times have you heard someone say, “The book was better” when they adapt a book into a film? You know why that is? Because a book is so much more personal. You form the characters in your mind’s eye and infuse the story with your own imagination.
The best way to learn is through books. If you’re looking for 2020 to be “your year”, start reading books.
In 2019, I read or listened to 43 books. Many were historical. (I’m a huge history buff). Some were self help or financial. Others were religious. Some were rereads and some were just for fun. A few were classics, others are brand new. One was over 800 pages. Another was only 80. The books I read on men’s issues and pornography were essential to helping me stay pure in my fight with sexual addiction. I also listened to the entire Old Testament on the Bible app during my commute to and from work.
I know my life is better in 2020 because I applied what I learned in the books I read in 2019.
My brothers, I challenge you to read more books in 2020. You don’t need to read as many I do. I know I read A LOT, but take the time to maybe just read one book a month. I enjoy using audible as well and listen on my drive to work or while at the gym. The best time I’ve found to read is right before bed. Instead of scrolling through your phone and consuming all that blue light that will wreck your sleep, read a chapter in a book. You’ll relax, your mind will be clearer, and you’ll sleep better.
So here is my list in order that I read them. If you’d like any recommendations for books on a specific topic, drop me a line.
1. Lost Moon – Jim Lovell
2. Deep Survival – Laurence Gonzales
3. First Man – James R. Hanson
4. The Case for Christ – Lee Stroebel
5. Furnishing Eternity – David Giffels
6. Man on the Moon – Andrew Chaikin
7. The Pastor’s Kid – Barnabas Piper
8. Failure Is Not An Option – Gene Krantz
9. Can’t Hurt Me – David Goggins
10. Catch Me If You Can – Frank Abagnale
11. No Easy Day – Matt Bissonette
12. Rich Dad Poor Dad – Robert Kiyosaki
13. Talking With Catholics About The Gospel – Chris Castaldo
14. Walk in the woods – Bill Bryson
16. Total Money Makeover – Dave Ramsey
18. Pandora’s Box – Jörn Leonhard
19. History of France – John Julius Norwich
20. The Preacher and the Presidents – Michael Duffy
21. Indestructible – John R. Bruning
22. A World Undone – G.J. Meyer
23. 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen R. Covey
24. Sons of Freedom – Geoffrey Waro
25. Destiny of the Republic – Candice Millard
26. Surfing For God – Michael John Cusick
27. 31 Days to Masculinity – Hunter Drew
28. I Will Teach You To Be Rich – Rahit Sethi
30. Crucial Conversations – Joseph Grenny
31. Wild At Heart – John Eldridge
32. Disciplines of a Godly Man – R. Kent Hughes
33. King David – Jonathan Kirsch
34. The Abolition of Man – C.S. Lewis
35. Reclaim Your Manhood – Ryan Felman
36. Devil in the White City – Erik Larson
37. Iron John – Robert Bly
38. Pilgrim’s Progress – John Bunyan
39. At Home – Bill Bryson
40. Walden – Henry David Thoreau
41. A Purpose Driven Life – Rick Warren
42. 1984 – George Orwell
43. Lincoln’s Last Trial – Dan Abrams
44. Draw Away The Drizzle – Ashley Reigle (shameless plug for my wife’s children’s book)
Subscribe to my Email List for my free eBook!
Sign up for my email list and receive a free copy of my eBook, Power Over Porn: 7 Habits To Crush Temptation. Implementing these daily habits into my life gave me the strength, courage, and determination to fight back and finally defeat my 15+ year Porn Addiction, and they can do the same for you!
One-on-one coaching can help you finally break free
from porn addiction once and for all.
- One-On-One Video Calls
- Free Book, Living Porn Free: 10 Steps To Recovery, Redemption, and Renewal
- A custom plan to overcome your addiction
- Personal access to Timothy for guidance and support
- Continued accountability and guidance
Why try to find your own path through the darkness? I’ve been through it. Let me guide you through.
I’ll provide the accountability you need to finally quit porn. I’ll show you the steps to living porn free. I’ll encourage and support you every day to keep fighting for freedom.